Monday, July 13, 2009

Finances with Diabetes

Has anyone had trouble trying to pay for all the supplies you need when you are a diabetic?

Share with us how you handle the expenses.

I would like to share a plan that helped me so much. I don't know if you have heard of Dave Ramsey, but his Financial Peace University got me on my way to having the money to pay for my supplies. No, I did not get a loan, but I did go through his class at a local church and set up a budget. I took the class in the summer of 2005 and was out of debt by August of 2008. I was able to budget in health expenses, so I never had to worry about if I had enough money to pay for my prescriptions during the month.

My one goal was to get out of debt before I got married, if that was in the Lords plan, and it was. Two months before I walked down the aisle I was out of debt and was able to pay cash for my wedding. There was nothing more exciting then knowing I was going into this marriage with no debt.

Our Pastor, during premarital counseling, requested that we take the class together and now we are working on paying off the debts my husband had incurred while single. The blessing in this is that if I had my debt on top of it we would be having a very rough start in our marriage, but in our first 8 months of marriage we were able to pay off two of our debts, yes when you get married they become yours too. We paid off one to the IRS and the other was a credit card. We only have 2 bills left, but will have to wait on wiping them out, since a roof and furnace are needed in the house. We are now saving enough money as possible to pay cash for these major expenses.

I can't tell you how wonderful it feels for us both to be on the same page with our finances and not be arguing over who spent too much on the credit card or stressing over if there is going to be enough money to get through the month. The biggest relief is knowing that if an emergency comes up, we will be able to take care of it together and work out a plan to cover the cost. When we are totally out of debt we will have the money saved up to cover any emergencies that would come up.

How would you feel if you had financial freedom?

This plan is so easy to follow and if you would like to take the course you can register on line at www.daveramsey.com. You can take the classes on line or find a class in your area. I would recommend the class in your area. That is where we learned about couponing and saving lots of money on the grocery bill. The wisdom shared in the class from other peoples experiences was wonderful to hear and advice we have used.

The advice you get from the people in the class is worth a night out in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment