Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What is an A1C?

Have you ever wondered why the doctor takes so many blood tests every time we go to see them? In the life of a diabetic doctors are doing their best to make sure you stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Being a diabetic we are susceptible to more problems such as high cholesterol, heart disease, etc. If your doctor is not taking any blood tests when you go, that might be a sure sign you need to find another doctor. One of the blood tests that my doctor runs on me almost every time I go is called an A1C. Do you know what that is? This is a blood test that gives the doctors an idea of what your blood sugars have been doing for the last 3 months. I could go into a more technical definition, but I will keep it simple. The levels of our A1C's tell the doctors if they need to help you get your blood sugars under better control as well. My A1C's usually run 6.0 or under. If they run at 6.2, the doctors are not going to freak out, but they may want to see you more frequently. In my opinion it is best to keep them under 6.0. You may ask how do I do this. We are in a world of high carbohydrate foods. Why not change the way you are eating. I know this is hard because yes I love my carbohydrates too, but why not eat the more natural carbs. Like sweet potatoes and carrots. It is summertime let's load up our freezers and cubboards with vegetables that we like. I know one thing that always make my blood sugars go out of wack is when I eat canned spaghetti sauce or tomato soup. Let's buy our own tomatoes or better yet grow our own and can them. This way you are not eating, the ingredients you can't pronounce, to your food. Fresh is always best. Does that not seem like a great idea. You then can eat fresh vegetables all year long. Our bodies were not really designed to be eating all the preservatives and other stuff that is added to make things last longer in a can or freezer.

One of the links on my page has what she calls a box garden. $5 dinners has planeted vegetables in boxes that she made out of wood and has had a great success with her garden. If you do not have a lot of land you can still have a garden. My husband and I have been talking about this because we would like to this next year. It is so much cheaper to grow your own vegetables and when they are planted in a box you don't have to weed them. James and I have 1 cherry tomato plant this year and 3 zuccini plants in containers and we did not have to weed them, so if you are pressed for time the box garden is a great way to go. Visit www.5dollardinners.com to see her garden. She bought the book for this on amazon.com. Next year we are going to do the same so we can save even more on our grocery bill.

Sorry, I got a little side tracked on what we were talking about, but it is very important to get your blood sugars under the best control possible, so you can live a very long and healthy life. Yes it is hard work, but isn't your life worth it. God has put us all here for a reason and I don't want to go home until I have completed what He has put me on earth to do.

There are some great articles for A1C's on www.healthcentral.com. I just found that site this morning and they send out newletters to you on e-mail for free. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment